I met my husband in High School. The first day at my new High School he approached me as I left for off campus lunch…he asked me to bring him back some candy from the store. I was amused but, I didn’t bring him back any candy. LOL. I couldn’t keep him off me after I came back empty handed. We ended up dating, breaking up (a few times), getting pregnant, and THEN getting married (that’s a whole different blog post).
Once I became pregnant I didn’t have the urgency to get married just because I was expecting. All I wanted was us to be great Parents to our bundle of joy. Dereon was 2 years old when Dennis asked me to marry him. I didn’t need a long time to think if I was going to say yes because Dennis had proven his self to Me and also to those important to me. Here are the 5 reasons I knew he was the 1:
1. He was willing to worship with me – Dennis grew up Catholic and I grew up Baptist. Two very different spiritual backgrounds. Once we started seriously dating he would visit my church sometimes and I would visit his. I loved the fact he took his Grandma to church every Sunday!! Once we were living together he began to attending church service with me every Sunday and I knew that was a big step for him since he was use to a quiet church service and was now involved a very vocal and active church experience. Although he was out of his comfort zone he pressed on and attended services and still does after almost 4 years of marriage. Plus he encourages our son to participate in church activities and supports me in the ministries I serve in as well.
2. I felt protected – Women want to feel safe! No question asked about that. I was confident in knowing that whatever mess I got myself into he was going to help me get out of it. If I was stranded he was there to come and get me home. If I was sick he was going to nurse me to health. No matter what he had my back and still does…for life!
3. The way he cared for our child – The bond between Dennis and Dereon is amazing from day 1 of Dereon’s life Dennis has been nurturing, supportive, and influential. The relationship and connection they have keeps me in awe.
4. He was my opposite – I’ve always been loud, talkative, goofy, and expressive Dennis is quiet, meek, serious and receptive. Which works great because we aren’t both trying to talk at the same time also he calms me down when I’m over the top (doesn’t happen very often lol).
5. He corrected me – Some wouldn’t like this, but I do. If I’m wrong I like to know I’m wrong and Dennis has always done that. He isn’t a “yes” man to keep me quiet he is going to be honest and tell me when I made a mistake. I don’t always agree with his thought process, but I like the fact he has and can call me out when I am wrong and that I can do the same to him.
Through the ups and downs I still love him like its 2001 and I’m in high school. Sharing every day of my life with him is pretty cool. Plus the awesome gifts on valentines day doesn’t hurt (just kidding…no I am serious LOL). Happy Valentines to all you love birds out there and If you haven’t found that special one yet don’t rush it God’s timing is the best. I promise!